An email communication is sent in two parts: an HTML part and a plain-text part. Depending the email application or configuration used by your recipients, the HTML part may not be displayed. Indeed, anti-spam software assign a negative score when no plain-text version is recognized. When it is the case, it is important to have a plain-text version for the communication to be received.
Emails in plain-text format cannot contain any images of text formatting, and are useful if you want smart watch owners to receive them.
Generate the default plain-text version
The default version can be edited as you wish, in order to adapt it to your needs.
- In the top right corner of the editor, click on the icon.
- In the plain-text version editing window, click on the Generate default version button.
- In the Generate plain-text version window, click on Generate.
You have received a communication from [[=Message.Headers.SenderName;]]. Unfortunately, your email software cannot display the HTML version of the message. You can consult it by visiting this link: [[=Message.WebVersion(true);]] To unsubscribe [[=Message.Optout("en-US");]]
4. Click on the Save button.
Generate the plain-text version from the content of the HTML version
This option allows you to convert the content of your HTML version into a plain-text version.
Warning: As some complex content and customizations may not be converted correctly, make sure to validate your plain-text version before saving it. When you use a lot of customization elements and conditions, it is recommended to generate the default plain-text version. The recipient will then be able to view the complete email (with its customization) in HTML version.
- Once your HTML version is final, in the top right corner of the editor, click on the icon.
- In the plain-text version editing window, click on the Generate from HTML button.
- In the Generate plain-text version window, click on Generate. Warning: If you already have a plain-text version, it will be replaced by the one corresponding to the content of your HTML version.
- Make the necessary changes to your plain-text version, and make sure it does not contain any unwanted HTML code.
- When you are finished, click on the Save button.
Verify how the plain-text version displays
As an example, here is how to do it in Gmail.
- In the top right corner of your email, click on the icon and select Show original.
- In the page that opens, check the display on your plain-text version under Content-Type: text/plain.