Creating a Web interceptor lets your display a pop-up that invites visitors on your website to perform some other action. Clients can decide on the page or section where the interceptor should display and choose in Dialog Insight the action to be performed. Available calls-to-actions are:
- attend an event
- complete a survey
- enter a contest
- view another page
- complete a form
Once the interceptor is configured, you just need to copy the interceptor's URL on the desired website page. People who visit the page will be intercepted with a pop-up window that invites them to perform the set action.
|Prerequisite||The Journey module must be enabled and configured with at least one website. See Configuring the Journey Module|
|Access Path||> Journey > Interceptors|
The explanations that follow take into account that the Journey module has been enabled and that the website where the interception should occur has already been added to the Journey module.
The first step to do is to name your new interceptor and choose the site where it should be shown.
- Once the Interceptor page is displayed, click on the Create an interceptor button shown in the presentation window.
- In the interceptor creation page, enter the name of the new interceptor.
- Then select the site where interception should occur.
If the website needed is not presented, this means that it has not yet been added; so you will need to do this first, before you can create the interceptor for this site. See Configuring the Journey Module.
- Click Create.
The page to configure interception rules will display for you to define the conditions to be met for the interceptor to show.
When defining interception rules, you set the circumstances in which the interceptor displays - when and for whom.
Note that there are 2 configuration mode, a simple one, presented by default, and an advanced mode that offers additional and more complex rules. This later mode is accessed from the Advanced configuration link. It is important to know that once you have switched to the advanced mode and have saved defined rules, the interceptor will always be presented in this same edit mode.
- In the Display section, specify where on your website you want visitors to be intercepted - on all pages or only on specific pages or sections.
- Entire website - Choose this option if you want visitors to be presented with the interceptor on any page of your website. If needed, you can specify specific pages or sections not to show the interceptor. For instance, you might not want to interrupt people who are in the process of buying something on your website or completing a subscription form. To do so, you must specify each page or section where interception should not occur by indicating on separate lines the complete address each page or section. You can use the * case to include sub-pages and sub-sections.
- Limited - Choose this option if you don't want to show the interceptor on all pages of your website but just on some specific pages or sections. To do so, you must specify each page or section where interception should occur by indicating one separate line the complete address each page or section. You can use the * case to include sub-pages and sub-sections.
- The Interception section lets you indicate when you want to show the interceptor. You might want to intercept visitors after they have viewed a few pages, or after a given time period, it's your choice.
*If you select both options, interception will occur only when both are met.
**If you select none of the options, visitors will be intercepted when they access the set pages and that the defined rules are met (type of visitor and recurrence).
- In the Visitors section, you need to specify the type of visitors you want to intercept, the ones that are already contacts in your project, or those who aren't. This rule is required and need to select at least one option, but both types can be selected to target everyone.
- Additional rules can be set in advanced configuration mode if needed.
- If you have switched to the advanced configuration mode, you will also have the ability to set rules based on predefined actions. For instance, you might want to intercept visitors once they have made a purchase on your website, in order to get some additional information or invite them to enter a contest. To do so, you need to have these specific actions configured by Dialog Insight for your website so this action is available for selection when defining interception rules.
- In the Recurrence section - Specify how often you want interception to happen, either once only or once every given period. You must select one of the 2 options.
- Once all rules are set, click Continue.
Know that interception will occur only if ALL set rules are met.
There are two types of interceptors, depending of what you want to do:
- if you want to invite visitors to perform a specific action, choose Call-to action.
- if you want to offer visitors to subscribe to any of your communications, choose Form.
For a call-to action, you must define the type of invitation to send, as well as the content of this invitation. Obviously, only actions to which you have access to can be set. So if you haven't enabled the survey module, you will not be able to invite people to complete a survey.
- Select the type of action you wish to invite visitors to. The possible actions are :
- Event - Displays an invitation to attend an event as well as the link to register.
- Contest - Displays an invitation to enter a contest as well as the link to complete the entry form.
- Survey - Displays an invitation to complete a survey as well as the link to access it.
- Redirection - Displays a link that redirects visitors to another page or website.
- Once the action type is selected, select the desired action from the list of related and available actions in the current project. If you rather want to redirect visitors to another website page
- If the project does have any valid action for the action type you selected, you will have to create it beforehand, in which case you will need to leave the current page and come back to it once the event, survey or contest is created.
- When both action type and action are selected, click Continue.
Editing the content is done in the message editor, under the Edit page.
To edit any section, click on the edit iconof the related area. This will open the corresponding edit window.
All the template's sections and contents can be edited:
|Image||Image of your company or representative of the action you want people to perform.|
You can choose an image of 600-pixel wide, set a alternate text to show when images cannot be displayed and specify alignment and padding.
|Text||This is the main content of the interceptor, that explains the purpose of the interception.|
You must compose the text and edit text and link styles as well as padding.
|Button||This is the button that opens the form to participate, subscribe or access the new page.|
You can change the text shown on the button as well as its style and location and padding.
|Divider||Element used to add an horizontal line.|
You can change the width, color and padding.
To see a preview of what the edited interceptor looks like, click on .
Selecting and editing the opt-in form is done using the message editor, shown under the Edit page.
- Once the Form interceptor type is selected, click Continue.
- The editor opens with a form already selected; if needed, you can change it for any other form shown in the list of available forms. Note that if you don't have any forms, you will need to create one before.
- To see a preview of the form, click on either Desktop or Mobile button.
- If needed, you can change the dimension of the form by indicating a new width and/or height.
- If you make changes, make sure to save them.
It is always recommended to validate the display and the content of the interceptor by testing it in a real environment. This test lets you see the interceptor on the website you have selected.
Once the test is successful, you need to define the display period of the interceptor.
Both functions are done on the Publish page.
- To test your interceptor on your website, click on Test, in the Test section.
Interception rules and dates can limit the display of the interceptor. To allow you to test, your website will be opened in a new window that will be recognized by the interceptor and where it will be displayed, ignoring set rules and dates. To see the interceptor pop up, you just need to navigate to any of the selected page of interception.
- Confirm the test execution by clicking on Test.
- If you see errors or missing information, you can go back to make corrections. You can even change the message itself by going to the Edit page, which opens the message editor with all its standard options.
- If you made changes, go back to the Publish page to retest your interceptor.
- In the Publishing section, you can limit the interception period associated with the selected action by changing the dates and time entered by default, as well as the applicable time zone. If no date is indicated, interception will occur as soon as the interceptor is published.
- When tests are done and interception period is set, click Publish.
The interceptor will display on the selected site based on the set interception rules and period.