Sending a message consists in preparing the message for mailing, meaning that you select the recipients and specify the time of mailing. The message must be then be approved before being actually sent.
Two sending options are available:
- Simple - Default option that sends the message.
- A/B Split - Option that lets you send different test messages to see which one generates the best results, and to then send the winning message to the remaining recipients.
- In the left pane of the main editor area, select the Simple sending option.
- In the sending window, select the person to send the message to in the Recipients section.
- All contacts - To send the message to all active contacts in the project.
- Groups - To send the message to contacts that are part of the selected group(s). The left box shows all the Available groups in the project. When you select a group that is available, the right arrow is activated and lets you add this group to the Selected groups box. To remove a group, just select it and click on the left arrow.
* When multiple groups are selected and a contact is part of more than one group, only one message is sent.
- If the primary key identifying your contacts is composed of more than one field, or if this key is not the contact's email address, you will be asked to choose how you want to handle contacts that might have the same email address.
You can choose to send a message to each contact, in which case, the same contact could receive more than one message, or send a one message per email address. With this last option, if two contacts have the same email (or if the same contact exist twice in the project), only one of the two will receive the message.
- In the Planning section, you can choose to send the message now or later. The mailing choices are the followings:
|Now||The message is sent as soon as the mailing process is completed and approved.|
|Later||The message is sent at the specified date and time for all contacts. Click on the icon to select another date and on to select another time and time zone.|
If you would rather send the message to contacts who are eligible at the time of sending the message, instead of sending it to contacts who are eligible when you set the schedule, uncheck the Use the current contact list option.
You can also choose to send the message based on one single time zone, or prefer sending the message so that contacts receive it to a specific time in their own time zone. If so, check the According to the contact option in the Time zone section.
The message is sent at the specified date and time of the contact's time zone. Click on to change the date and on to change the time.
For example, if you want to send a message to all your contacts on January 1st to wish them a Happy New Year, you don't want them to receive the message in advance, and surely not too late; with this option, you are certain that they receive the message at their proper time.
For the contact's time zone to be taken into account, this time zone must have been provided for contacts. When you want to provide this information for all your contacts, this definition can only be done via import or form ( opt-in or profile update for example). Otherwise, it can be done manually, one contact at a time, in the contact's profile by clicking on the icon.
You can download the Excel file with all the valid time zones.
- If needed, you can display additional options by clicking on Show options.Otherwise, the Do not show options option is selected by default.
|Control delivery rate||Option that lets you specify the maximum number of messages to be sent every hour, or the maximum duration of a mailing.|
|Add a prefix to the message subject||Option that lets you add a prefix to the message subject, such as [REMINDER] or [TEST] for example. To do so, just enter the desired prefix in the text box. The prefix will show for all recipients.|
- It is suggested to use the Count button to check if the number of contacts is accurate before performing the mailing.
- Click on Prepare mailing.
A confirmation window opens and lists a few validation points to make sure your message complies with the electronic mailing standards.
- If your message is compliant, click on Confirm and prepare mailing.
Once the preparation completed, another confirmation window opens, when you approve and send the message.
Before approving a message, it is important to check if the message is the right one and if the number of recipients is correct. You might also want to check the customization by previewing a few messages before sending them.
- Click on Approve to approve the message right away.
- Otherwise, you can click on Details to check the message once again before approving it.
- If needed, change the date and time of the mailing by clicking on Edit lauch date.
- If Previewyour message includes customization variables, you can view the personalized messages before sending them by clicking on . To use this option, just select the recipients one after the other in the list of the To field to preview the message for that person.
- To see the results of the analysis, go to the Analysis tab.
- Once all validations are performed and the message is ready to be sent, click on Approve. If however you decide not to send this message, click on Reject, and specify the reason why and confirm.
- In the left pane of the main editor area, select the A/B Split sending option.
- Depending on whether the message is associated to a campaign or not, different options are available:
- You can launch a new campaign by selecting New campaign option and specifying the name you want to give to this new campaign. Then, click Continue.
- You can pursue an existing campaign by selecting Continue a campaign and selecting the campaign to which you want to associate this message and click Select. Back to the main page, click Continue.
- If the message is already associated to a campaign, you can continue this campaign, whose name will be displayed. All you have to do here is to select this option and click Continue.
- To build the campaign, you can select other messages.
- Then, select the recipients, decide on the number, or percentage, of recipients to use for A/B testing, plan the time of mailing, prepare the mailing and finally approve it. For a detailed description of each of these steps, view Creating an A/B Split Campaign.