Configuring communication types lets you specify the communications that are valid in the project and define each of these types. You can create, edit and delete communication types, as well as define the related display settings, behaviors upon opt-out or complaint and list of items to check before mailing; you can also choose the option to send a notification to certain users when a note is added to a message.
Communication types allow you to classify messages but mostly to define specific parameters that apply to each type.
For example, you could want to keep contacts active even if they unsubscribe from a promotional message. In that case, you would set the parameters of this communication type as such.
When creating a new project, there is one communication type already created, that is Newsletter. But you can create as many communication types as you need. You can also delete communication types you don't need anymore. However, if there is only one communication type in the project, you will not be able to delete it, even if this type show a link Delete this type.
|Access Path||> Configuration > Communication types|
To configure a communication type, you must first select the type to define by selecting amongst those offered. If needed, you can add a completely new type or even delete existing ones. However, it is mandatory to keep at least one communication type.
Create the communication type
If you want to define a completely new communication type:
- Dans la section Canaux autorisés, cochez les cases situées à côté des canaux pour les sélectionner. La case Courriel est cochée par défaut, mais vous pouvez la décocher si vous ne souhaitez pas faire d'envois par courriel.
Pour les meilleures pratiques, consultez
- In the pop-up that displays, type in a name for the communication type and click on Add. The new communication type will be listed by alphabetical order with the existing ones.
Define the communication type
Whether you just created a new communication type, or wish to edit an existing one, you must first select the communication type to define in the left pane.
Once selected, there are multiple options to define:
- If needed, edit the name of the communication type.
- Check the Show messages of this type for sendings from the contact's profile option if you want to be able to send messages of this type directly from the contact information card.
- Note that options related to the icon or color of the communication type is not available for now.
- Click on Save to register your changes.
Select the authorized channels
Choose the channels through which you wish to send messages from your communication type (e.g. newsletters) to your contacts. The options available vary depending on the modules enabled for the account.
- In the Authorized channels section, check the boxes next to the channels to select them. The EMailbox is checked by default, but you can uncheck it if you do not want to send emails.
For best practices, see Efficient Configuration of Authorized Channels.
- Once you have selected the channels, click on Save.
To remove a channel, uncheck its box. If it is used to send messages, you will be asked to transfer the related messages to another communication type that includes this channel or, if no other communication type is available, to add a new one or modify an existing one to include the channel.
The Opt-outs section lets you configure how the application processes contacts when a contact unsubscribes from this type of communication or when a contact reports a message of this type as spam.
When consent is assigned for a type of message, the behavior of mailings changes in consequence. However, when there is no consent center, by default, the application deactivates a contact upon opt-out. To change the behavior on opt-out, see Defining Opt-Out and Complaint Default Behaviors.
When an email complaint is expressed, the contact is by defaut added to the email kill file and then deactivated. He will therefore no longer be eligible to receive communications from other channels.
It is also possible to add the contact to the kill file without deactivating him, in order to continue to send him messages through other channels. This option is activated on request.
|Note : SMS complaint management is configured independently of email complaints.|
Defining a check list lets you remind users of the various points to be checked before sending a message. When such a list is created, it displays each time a message of the defined type is ready to be sent.
The default validation points are as follows:
- That you have the permission to communication with the selected contacts.
- That the message provide an easy and functional way to unsubscribe.
- That you are well identified so that the recipient can contact you.
- Under the Check list section, click on Modify.
- In the Check list page, type the desired instructions or points to be checked by the user before sending the message. If the project is available in other languages, you can define these check points in all other available languages.
- Under the Notifications section, check the related option.
- Also check the users to whom you want to send notifications to.
Configure ou modify an email alert
Configuring an email alert when the delivery error rate reaches a certain percentage allows you to act in advance to prevent delivery errors (see Understanding bounces and delivery errors).
It is possible to configure an alert for each type of communication.
- In the Email alert section, click on modify.
- In the window that opens, enter the minimum number of contacts and the delivery error rate.
* Make sure to enter an appropriate error rate. For example, if you configure an alert for sendings with more than 100 contacts, with a 1% error rate, you will receive an alert after only 1 error.
- Then click on Add to choose the user(s) who will receive the alert.
- When you are finished, click on the Save button.
Delete a communication type
Deleting a communication type lets you eliminate communication types that are no longer used or valid and consequently, limit the list of valid types.
It is possible to delete any communication type, as long as there is at least one left in the project.
If you attempt to delete a communication type that is associated to existing messages, you will be asked to transfer the related messages to another type of communication, as all messages must be assigned to a communication type.
- Once in the page listing all communication types, select the one that you want to delete and click on Delete this type.
- If the communication type is associated to existing messages, select the communication type to which to transfer the related messages or, if no other communication type is available, add a new one or modify an existing one to include the channel.
If you have a consent center, set in which conditions the communication type can be sent (see Setting the Sending Conditions of a Communication Type).