To be able to apply an injection rule to a link in a message, you must first create and configure this rule.
An injection rule is associated to a specific project, to one or multiple communication types and to one or multiple domains. And the rule must contain the applicable parameters.
|Access Path||> Contact > Messages > Injection rules|
- Start by selecting the project for which you want to create the rule.
- In the page listing existing rules, click on Create a rule.
- In the rule creation window, type in a name for your new rule.
When the rule is applied to a message, this is the name that you will see under the additional edit options, under the Link tracking section, and Link tracking sub-section.
- In the Type field, indicate whether the message is using version 1 or version 2 format. Only one selection is possible.
- In the Communication type field, select the communication type to which you want to apply the rule. You can choose to apply the rule to all communication types (in which case, the value is the Default value) or to a specific communication type. The communication types listed correspond to those that were created for the current project.
*Note that it is not possible to change the category once the rule is created.
- In the URLsfield, type in all the domains to which you want to add the parameters that you will add to the rule. If needed, you'll be entitled to add or edit these later as well.
- All URLs must start with http://.
- It is important to mention all possible variations of the address or to use replacement characters, such as *.
Example http://www.dialoginsight.com, https://www.dialoginsight.com, http://dialoginsight.com, https://dialoginsight.com http://www.SubDomain.dialoginsight.com OR SIMPLY USE http*://*dialoginsight.com
- Click Create.
The window that opens once the rule is created shows additional sections and fields to further define the rule.
- Check the option Auto apply if you want the rule to apply automatically to all messages, without having to do anything.
- If you have enabled the Behavioral tracking and data protection, and wish to apply this rule only to contacts who have accepted cookies, thus that their actions be tracked in your communications, check the option Apply only to tracked contacts.
- If you have made any changes, make sure to click Save.
- As needed, edit or add URLs. To add a new one, click on Add an URL and enter the desired addresses. To edit an existing one, select the URL and click on the Edit. In the edit window, make the correction and click Save.
- To define parameters, click Create a parameter.
- In the edit window, give the parameter a name.
- In the Parameter field, enter the parameter, that is the code to be added to the specified URLs.
- In the Communication type field, make sure to specify the same communication type as the rule, or the default value.
IMPORTANT - If the rule applies to a specific communication type, the parameter MUST ALSO apply to the same communication type, or to all communication types.
Example: Communication type of rule = Promotion, Communication type of parameter = Promotion or Default value.
- Check the Hide if empty option if you don't want the parameter to show in the link when no data is provided.
- If you check the Replace if already exists option AND that the parameter already exists in the link, the parameter in the message will be replaced with that of the link. If no parameter exist, then it is simply added.
- Specify the value of the parameter. Several options are possible:
- Predefined value- Each parameter can contain a generated value, whether defined or taken dynamically from the system.Examples of dynamic content
- [[=Message.idMessage;]] = Message id
- [[=Message.MessageName;]] = Message name
- [[=Message.idCategory;]] = Message communication type
Mailing related data
- [[=Mailing.dtMailing.ToString("yyyyMMdd");]] = mailing date, in YYYYMMDD format
- [[=Mailing.idBatch;]] = mailing batch id (the mailing itself)
- If the value is predefined, it is also possible to offer to edit the value just before sending the message by selecting the Editable option.
- Different for each message - This option lets the user specify the value to add to links when editing the message, before sending it.
When this option is checked, you can also choose to set the value as Required; this way, if a parameter value is not provided, the message cannot be sent.
- Predefined value- Each parameter can contain a generated value, whether defined or taken dynamically from the system.
Once the parameter is configured, click Create.